Monday, July 9, 2012

The train to Bergen

The train ride from Oslo to Bergen is one of Europe's highest and, many say, one of the most beautiful train rides in the world.

Eventhough it was a rainy, overcast day, I would have to agree. This train ride is seriously beautiful.

Yes, I have to admit, I was really disappointed that it was such an ugly day, but I'm still thankful we had such an amazing opportunity to see such beauty.

train 1



train 6


Had I thought things through a bit, I would have realized that we would be travelling through the mountains, above the tree line. But I was pretty shocked to be whizzing by a snow-covered, treeless community in mid-July.

train 7


A Norwegian woman who lives in Bergen (our destination city) told us that it is quite unusual to still have so much snow at this time of year.

Did you know that while the US is suffering from a record-breaking heat wave, northern Europe is experiencing one of the coldest, wettest summers on record?

train 9


train 10


We could have taken a bike ride through some of this terrain on another day, but I forgot to pack the winter coats...and the hats...and the mittens...oh well.

train 12


This is just a little taste of what lies ahead of us in fjord country!

train 13


train 14

No comments:

Post a Comment